Skip to main content

The Mistake by Elle Kennedy


Rating:

4 Stars


Themes:

Romance, Hockey Romance 


Thoughts:

I already fell in love with John Logan from the show so I decided to go back and read more of the series and this one only developed my Logan appreciation. Seeing him interact with his family and the way in which he accepts the family responsibility without question is admirable even if he shouldn’t be in that position (as the child of an addict) in the first place. I loved seeing Wellsy and Garrett again and getting to see the development of their relationship further. This book felt like it focused more on the details of backgrounds and relationship dynamics with Grace and Ramona, Logan and Jeff and both of them and their parents and much like the first book it doesn’t shy away from deep and traumatic themes. Grace herself was fun and felt quite relatable with her talkativeness and random killer facts when she feels awkward. I wasn’t so much a fan of the way in which the two got together for this one but I like that it feels different rather than a copy and paste of the other books.


Favourite Quote:

“It's times like these when I want to grab his shoulders and shake him, beg him to make me understand why he drinks. My mom says it's genetic, and I know Dad's side of the family has a history of depression as well as alcoholism. And fuck, maybe that's it. Maybe those really are the reasons he can't stop drinking. But a part of me still can't fully accept that. He had a good childhood, damn it. He had a wife who loved him, two sons who did whatever they could to please him. Why couldn't that be enough for him?

I know he's an addict. I know he's sick. It's just so hard to put myself in that mind frame, in that place where a bottle of booze is the most important thing in your life, so much so that you're willing to throw away everything else for it.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mint and Murder by Carly Winter

Rating:  Stars Themes: Short Story, Cosy Mystery Thoughts: Thoughts: I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. I had to read this book, seeing it was available, after reading Pipers Piping and Puppies last year. I did read it as a standalone (it’s not the first time I’ve read a series out of order and likely won’t be the last) I managed to follow along fine although I’m sure I’d have understood the relationship dynamics better had I read it in the correct order. I found the story great and as for the mystery I was guessing myself right the way through until Sam figured it out. Sam is a strong female main character who feels worth investing in so I may have to go search some more of the Heywood Herbalist series out. I enjoyed seeing Sam interact with her friends as they had great chemistry and it felt real, and also really liked Sam’s interactions with Doug as it added another layer of humanity to her and reality to the town. I would love ...

The War of Sober by Edward Rand

Rating: 4 Stars Themes: Non-Fiction, Self-Help, Addiction, Psychology  Thoughts: I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. This is a great book not just for addicts trying to establish and maintain their sobriety but also psychologists, counsellors and the people working with them. It approaches the experience of addiction from the perspective of going to war and may help those who can’t get along with the 12 steps, contingency management or other forms of therapy traditionally used. It’s also helpful to have Edward detail his own experiences and approaches throughout so it feels less clinical and shows he does know what he’s talking about when he mentions the difficulties so it comes across less patronising than some self-help addiction books. Favourite Quote: "It doesn't matter what happened yesterday. Win or lose, if we are still alive, we must decide to be different today and then make the correct choices today, because friends, ...

Porn is Not Sex Ed! by Jessica Melendez

Rating: 3 Stars Themes: Non-Fiction, Young Adult Thoughts: I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. In the age of lessening sex education this book could be a great tool to help bridge the gap. I appreciate the talk to an adult bits that can encourage children to start to have conversations that are important but they often think are cringy. The note to trusted adults bit at the end is great too and there’s quite a few useful activities to help the messages really sink in. Some of the points here such as fetishisation and body image are really important ones that I never learned that young (which could be the reason I had such poor body image as a teen) and for the most part the book talks to kids on their level although some areas may feel a little immaturely worded for older teens. With thanks to Hachette UK and Netgalley for my advanced digital copy of this book.