Rating:
4 Stars
Themes:
Children's Fiction
Thoughts:
I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. This is an extremely important read, especially now with the growing political tensions. Amiri takes us on his journey from initially fleeing from danger to running towards the only country (well 1 of 2) that can save his brothers life. This allows us to see the life of a refugee from a child's point of view which feels even more emotive with how innocent and vulnerable children are. The illustrations are very childlike and uncomplicated which reinforces the young age of Amiri at the time of the events. I liked that the ending was filled with hope as hopefully it will inspire those who are reading this to find a story that represents them and their life. It really is an important and poignant read.
Favourite Quote:
“These men didn't want us here. Maybe no one did. But didn't they know what we'd been through, how dangerous it was at home.
Didn't they know we couldn't go home even if we wanted to?”

Comments
Post a Comment