Skip to main content

Into the Kryvolis Forest by L. Kharkiv


Rating:

4 Stars


Themes:

Fairy Tales


Thoughts:

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. I hadn’t read a modern fairy tale like this before and this one feels quite timely. Bronas and Solomiya are forced into the forest by monsters invading their village, destroying and killing as they go which reflects the real experiences of many Ukrainian children (and too many others in occupied and warring areas). The stories they had been told by family members growing up didn’t dissuade them when there was little choice and the lack of human/adult presence throughout lends itself well to fairytales and reality. The different creatures throughout the forest are well described and easy to imagine, and most matched my imagination to the images when provided. The use of illustration throughout in sharp dark lines added to the eeriness of the tale and the doubt as to how the journey for Bronas and Solomiya would end.


Favourite Quote:

“I guess, sometimes,

monsters don't need reasons

to tear your world apart.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mint and Murder by Carly Winter

Rating:  Stars Themes: Short Story, Cosy Mystery Thoughts: Thoughts: I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. I had to read this book, seeing it was available, after reading Pipers Piping and Puppies last year. I did read it as a standalone (it’s not the first time I’ve read a series out of order and likely won’t be the last) I managed to follow along fine although I’m sure I’d have understood the relationship dynamics better had I read it in the correct order. I found the story great and as for the mystery I was guessing myself right the way through until Sam figured it out. Sam is a strong female main character who feels worth investing in so I may have to go search some more of the Heywood Herbalist series out. I enjoyed seeing Sam interact with her friends as they had great chemistry and it felt real, and also really liked Sam’s interactions with Doug as it added another layer of humanity to her and reality to the town. I would love ...

Porn is Not Sex Ed! by Jessica Melendez

Rating: 3 Stars Themes: Non-Fiction, Young Adult Thoughts: I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. In the age of lessening sex education this book could be a great tool to help bridge the gap. I appreciate the talk to an adult bits that can encourage children to start to have conversations that are important but they often think are cringy. The note to trusted adults bit at the end is great too and there’s quite a few useful activities to help the messages really sink in. Some of the points here such as fetishisation and body image are really important ones that I never learned that young (which could be the reason I had such poor body image as a teen) and for the most part the book talks to kids on their level although some areas may feel a little immaturely worded for older teens. With thanks to Hachette UK and Netgalley for my advanced digital copy of this book.

The War of Sober by Edward Rand

Rating: 4 Stars Themes: Non-Fiction, Self-Help, Addiction, Psychology  Thoughts: I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. This is a great book not just for addicts trying to establish and maintain their sobriety but also psychologists, counsellors and the people working with them. It approaches the experience of addiction from the perspective of going to war and may help those who can’t get along with the 12 steps, contingency management or other forms of therapy traditionally used. It’s also helpful to have Edward detail his own experiences and approaches throughout so it feels less clinical and shows he does know what he’s talking about when he mentions the difficulties so it comes across less patronising than some self-help addiction books. Favourite Quote: "It doesn't matter what happened yesterday. Win or lose, if we are still alive, we must decide to be different today and then make the correct choices today, because friends, ...