Rating:
3 Stars
Themes:
Poetry, Disability
Thoughts:
I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. This poetry anthology contains a broad range of disabilities, including invisible and rarer ones and I was happy to find one with my disability as it’s rare but I felt so seen. I liked the note on disability and identity at the beginning, especially as person first or disability first is a hotly debated topic in the community with some being offended by one or the other so we’re aware we may see both and it lets those who will be upset to make the decision straight off whether they want to continue or not. I also liked the photo and mini biography being there with the poem instead of all at the end as when that happens I often find myself having to flick back and remind myself what’s going on with my condition impacting memory, which makes it inclusive. However, having the poem origin before we read the poem itself is different and it kind of ensured we were reading it as the author wrote it and stunted some interpretation to our own experiences.
Favourite Quote:
“You assume
That I
Can
Do more
Than I really can
Making me feel
Like I should
Shoulder
More weight
Than I can bear.”

Comments
Post a Comment