Rating:
4 Stars
Themes:
Memoir, Non-Fiction, Classics
Thoughts:
I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. This was an interesting tale of Baldwin's life. I did feel like it was jumping about a bit but the fragmented history did add more to the story as we met people and events when they fit together rather than chronologically, like the suit just after he got successful to show the difference in how he was treated by family and close friends rather than when it actually happened when it wouldn’t have as much of an impact. It did feel a little weird hearing Baldwin discussing the attitudes to Arabs in Europe with how he was used to being treated himself in America but he conveys it like he shares in the oppressive views. Overall, it’s a powerful read and a great choice if you’re interested in the other works of James Baldwin for context.
Favourite Quote:
“It was strange to find oneself, in another language, in another country, listening to the same old song and hearing oneself condemned in the same old way.”

Comments
Post a Comment