Rating:
5 Stars
Themes:
Non-Fiction, LGBTQ+
Thoughts:
This may be one of my favourite LGBTQ+ history books so far. It collates so much of our history from pre-Christian persecution and the reasons that homophobic attitudes spread (which is often ignored) all the way up to the year before publication (2019). I loved seeing Anne Lister mentioned as she is quite a historical institution who was nearly erased due to her family, and seeing her be able to be reclaimed is great as she never hid who she was. I liked that there was 3 whole chapters before the beginning of pride as it gave us quite a lot of our own history with pride being the middle of the chapters. I also liked the ‘Why I Have Pride’ at the end of each chapter as it brings a modern conversation in too which is great for young people who are still questioning their own identity. I also loved the touch of rainbow edges with each chapter being a different colour as it’s something I’ve not seen done before and is a great touch. I also thought the glossary, index and further information at the end were great touches.
Favourite Quote:
“LGBTQ+ rights have come a long way in the past few decades, but the fight isn’t over.”

Comments
Post a Comment